NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Virtual•2•Reality Challenge Powered by Discover Global Network (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (and D.C.) who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of DFS Services LLC, organizers of the Innovation Project, PYMNTS.com, HelloWorld, Inc., and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
Teams must be able to travel to Boston for the live Hackathon (March 3 – 5, 2017) and the Innovation Project Conference (March 15, 2017). Teams are solely responsible for all travel related expenses, including, without limitation, airfare, lodging, meals and ground transportation.
2. Sponsor: DFS Services LLC, 2500 Lake Cook Road, Riverwoods, IL 60015. Administrator: HelloWorld, Inc., 3000 Town Center, Floor 21, Southfield, MI 48075.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules. Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Contest begins on February 17, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”), ends on March 5, 2017 (the “Contest Period”), and includes two (2) phases as set forth in the chart below.
Initial Online Submission
Live Hackathon (in Boston)
3 Finalists Solution Presentation
Start Date & Time
February 15, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. ET
March 3, 2017 (evening-exact time TBD)
March 15-16, 2017 (exact time TBD)
End Date & Time
February 27, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET
March 5, 2017 (morning- exact time TBD)
Initial Online Submission
Starts: February 15, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. ET
Ends: February 27, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Live Hackathon (in Boston)
Starts: March 3, 2017 (evening-exact time TBD)
Ends: March 5, 2017 (morning- exact time TBD)
3 Finalists Solution Presentation
Starts: March 15-16, 2017 (exact time TBD)
Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Register to Participate in the Hackathon: During the Registration Phase, visit http://www.innovationproject.com/virtual-2-reality-challenge/ and follow the links and instructions to complete and submit the registration form, including your name, your valid email address (and all other required personal contact information). You will be deemed the “Team Leader.” If your Team is invited to participate in the Hackathon, you must bring at least one (1) team member and may bring up to five (5) other team members, herein your “Team.” All team members must meet the eligibility criteria described in Section 1. Individuals may only participate on one (1) Team.
If you are one of the first fifteen (15) Team Leaders to register, you will be invited to attend the Hackathon. You will receive the invitation by email from Sponsor with the details about the Hackathon. Within two (2) days of receiving the invitation, you will be required to confirm that you and your Team will be attending the Hackathon. If the Team Leader fails to confirm attendance within two (2) days, Team will forfeit the opportunity to participate in the Hackathon.
If you register after all fifteen (15) spots have been filled, you will be included on a wait list and may be contacted on or around February 28, 2017 and offered the opportunity to participate if a spot becomes available.
The Hackathon will take place at a location in Boston, MA. Details regarding the timing and location will be provided by Sponsor.
6. Hackathon: Each Team is responsible for arranging travel to the Hackathon and, the Innovation Project Conference Expo and all expenses incurred, including, without limitation, airfare, lodging, meals and ground transportation. Upon arrival at the Hackathon, each Team member will be required to register, confirm agreement with these Official Rules. Only members of the Team that participate at the Hackathon are eligible to receive a prize.
Each Team will be expected to create one (1) first generation application that is able to process a payment within a virtual or augmented reality environment securely, including consumer authentication within the AR/VR environment during the Hackathon. Each Team will be given the opportunity to present what they create, including a live demonstration of their application to a panel of judges.
Sponsor will provide details of presentation timing and content requirements at the Hackathon. The application created and presentation will herein be referred to as the Team’s “Submission”. All expenses incurred in developing a concept, creating an application and presenting it are the responsibility of the Team. Each Team’s Submission must follow the technical and content requirements listed below. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify a Team if it believes that the Submission fails to conform to these requirements:
- Hardware: HTC Vive, Microsoft Hololens, Oculus Rift hardware preferred but not mandated.
- Allowed APIs (“Application Programming Interface”): Submission must not rely on another financial institution’s API; it must feature the Discover Payments platform.
- Information Collected: Submission must not collect or store any non-public personal information, device or user tracking information (including but not limited to GPS location, device ID, etc.) without explicit user approval.
- Except for purchased or licensed content, the Submission must be original work of the Team;
- Team must not disclose any confidential material or information;
- Submission must include only programmable software code and content (including any code specifications or technical information, algorithms, designs, music, audio, visual or illustrative content, including logos, images, graphics, art, or other content, information, or materials protected any intellectual property right) that Team owns or has proper rights to use;
- Team will be required to disclose any purchased or licensed content as well as any work that was completed by the Team prior to the Hackathon. This content will not be considered by the Judges when determining winners.
- Submission must not contain any incomplete, corrupt, damaged, malicious, or backdoor code;
- Submission must feature the Discover Payment platform and may not use any competing platforms;
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, copyright, trade secret, patent, trademark, publicity or any intellectual property rights;
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age; and
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to laws or regulations.
7. Team collaboration. All Teams are solely responsible for their own teamwork. Neither Sponsor nor its agents will officiate or be responsible for any disputes between or among members of the Team (including disputes regarding conduct, cooperation, contributions, intellectual property ownership, or prize distribution or sharing).
8. Sponsor’s Use of Contest Submissions: By participating in the Hackathon, Team members each consent to give Sponsor (as well as Sponsor’s parent and affiliate companies and agents thereof) a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, Team members will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to effectuate the intent of this paragraph.
9. Intellectual Property Retained by Team: You represent that you or your Team owns or has the right to use all intellectual property included in your Submission, and you have the right to grant the license set forth in paragraph 8. Sponsor does not claim ownership of your Submission. At all times during and after the Contest, Teams retain any intellectual property rights they may have that are contained in and to their Submissions. The protection of such intellectual property is the sole responsibility of the Team.
10. Publicity: During the Hackathon and the Innovation Project Conference Expo (if applicable), Sponsor (including its parent and affiliate companies) and its agents will be filming, interviewing and/or photographing Teams and other activities (herein ” Films”). You agree to participate in the creation of the Films and will ensure that each member of your Team also agrees to participate. Sponsor will own the Films. You grant Sponsor (including its parent and affiliate companies) and its agent worldwide permission in perpetuity, to use each Team member’s name, voice, image, statements or any indicia of their his or her identity (“Likeness”) in the Films, Submissions, and/or prize information in connection with the Contest and will ensure that your Team members also agree to grant such permission. Sponsor reserves the right to reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display Films, Submissions and/or prize information in connection with this Contest in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, Team members will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor.
11. Winner Determination and Winner Requirements: A panel of seven (7) qualified judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will score each Team’s Submission (solely considering content created at the Hackathon) using the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”) and select the three (3) highest scoring Submissions (herein “potential winners”):
- Functionality – what problem you are solving for and how are you meeting that consumer need? (0
– 7 points)
- Design – was the design/solution intuitive, appealing and simple to use? (0 – 10 points)
- Impact – did the team create an application that can have a real and valuable impact? (0 – 10 points)
- Creativity – how creative was the Team in developing an innovative solution for the challenge? (0 – 10 points)
- Overall Quality – does the product work completely from start to finish? How many and how severe were any bugs encountered? (0 – 10 points)
In the event of a tie, the Team whose Submission received the highest score for Overall Quality, as determined by the qualified judges will be deemed the applicable potential winner from among the tied Teams. To the extent a tie remains, the judges will apply the same process by considering each Judging Criterion in the following order: Impact, Creativity, Functionality and lastly Design. If a tie remains after considering each criterion, then the value of the prizes for each tied Team will be aggregated and split equally between tied Teams. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than three (3) winners, if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of complete Submissions. Sponsor will not disclose judging scores. Decisions of the judging panel is final.
Top three (3) Teams will be announced at the conclusion of the Hackathon. Sponsor will notify the three teams of the prize that it will be awarded no later than on March 15, 2017 at the Innovation Conference Expo. Winning Teams will be required to complete the following two (2) tasks to claim the cash prize:
First, at least one (1) member of each potentially winning Team must agree to set up a booth at the Expo and present its product in order to receive the prize. Sponsor will provide additional details and requirements for the Expo presentation. If a potentially winning Team cannot commit to attend the Expo, declines the opportunity to present its product at the Expo, or does not make an appearance at the Expo, it will be disqualified from winning a prize. If time permits, the Team whose Submission received the next highest score will be offered the applicable prize.
Second, each Team member will also be required to sign and return a Declaration of Compliance, Liability Waiver and a Publicity Release (“Declaration”) to claim the prize. Team members will receive this Declaration by email from Contest Administrator HelloWorld and will be required to return the signed document within five (5) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent by mail or fax, in order to claim his/her prize. If a team member cannot be contacted, fails to execute and return the Declaration within the required time period, does not comply with these Official Rules, or if prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits his/her pro rata portion of the prize. If a potential team member is disqualified for any reason, his/her portion of the prize will be dispersed to the remaining Team members of the applicable Team.
12. Prizes: ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: $10,000. Each Team Member (up to 6) will receive his/her pro rata portion of the prize fulfilled as a check. ONE (1) FIRST PRIZE: $5,000. Each Team Member (up to 6) will receive his/her pro rata portion of the prize fulfilled as a check. ONE (1) SECOND PRIZE: $3,000. Each Team Member (up to 6) will receive his/her pro rata portion of the prize fulfilled as a check.
Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. For any individual prize award of $600 or more, winners will receive an IRS form 1099 from Contest Administrator reflecting the value of the prize received, as required by law. Prizes will be fulfilled 8 – 10 weeks after the end of the Contest.
13. Not a contract or offer of employment and no authority to bind. This is a Contest for prizes only and NOT A CONTRACT OR OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT. Under no circumstances will participation in the Contest, distribution of a prize, or anything in these Official Rules be construed as a contract or offer of employment with the Sponsor. Each Team Leader/Team acknowledges and agrees that no confidential, fiduciary, agency, or other special relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between him/her and Sponsor, and no such relationship is established by participation in this Contest.
14. Right to Exclusive Negotiation with Sponsor: Teams (including all of its members) who participate in the Hackathon agree that by such participation, that from the date that they are confirmed to participate through May 14, 2017 (herein “Time Period”), they will exclusively and in good faith negotiate with Sponsor and/or its parent or affiliate companies, regarding any potential partnership, license, acquisition, or purchase of their Submission. Teams agree not to solicit other proposals or inquiries about potential partnership, license, acquisition, or purchase about their Submission during this Time Period. Sponsor has no obligation to discuss a potential partnership, license, acquisition or purchase with any Team and may terminate the responsibilities of this Section before March 14, 2017 in its sole discretion. This Section IS NOT AN offer of partnership, acquisition, or purchase to any of the Teams. Furthermore, this Section should not be construed as a contract or offer of employment with Discover.
15. Release: By participating in the Contest or the Hackathon or accepting any prize, each Team member agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Administrator, organizers of the Innovation Project, PYMNTS.com, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, damage to or loss of property, intellectual property, or any claim whatsoever arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including any related travel.
16. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the Finalists or winners from among all non-suspect, eligible Submissions received up to time of such action using the Judging Criteria outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual (or Team) it finds to be tampering with the submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
17. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed, or misdirected Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof; (2) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (3) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (4) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest, including any unauthorized third-party use of any Submission; (5) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (6) any injury, loss or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest (including travel and participation in the Contest, the Hackathon or Innovation Project Conference) or receipt or use or misuse of any prize; (7) any claims by a Team Leader or Team for compensation or for violation of intellectual properties rights resulting from a claim that its Submission is similar to identical to or competitive with technologies or products independently developed by Sponsor or received by Sponsor from third parties, including but limited to from other Teams; or (8) any claims stemming from any unauthorized use by third parties of intellectual property contained in any Submissions.
18. Disputes: Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.
20. Winner List: For a list of Teams invited to the Hackathon and a list of the three (3) winning Teams, visit http://bit.ly/2ld1UQg. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.
© 2017 HelloWorld, Inc.